Thursday, February 19, 2009

DO YOU HAVE YOUR POPCORN READY??

HEY THERE!
I'm really excited about this week's post!
Our task is to blog about one of the many Google tools and to...
MAKE A MOVIE!
Both are my virgin tries.
Exciting stuff. :)
So, do you have your popcorn ready??

GOOGLE EARTH

I chose this application as I found it really really interesting. I first came into contact with Google Earth during my college days. As a geography student, I had to fiddle around with the application to learn some stuff which I've already forgotten by now. So, as I revived my interest in Google Earth again, I'm not surprised to find that it has improved so much! Let's look at what are some of the cool things Google Earth 5.0 can do! :)



Now that you have the know-hows. Go ahead and have fun with it! I can easily entertain myself for hours just by looking at the aerial view of different places. We will never have the chance to visit most of these places in our lifetime. Best we can do for now is to admire them on our screens. It is indeed applaud-able that we humans have surpassed ourselves once again. With the access to Google Earth, we are able to, virtually, go anywhere anytime.

However, the application comes with many controversial issues as well. Below are some extracts from www.earthtimes.org

"A failed attack on oil facilities in Yemen in September last year was also reportedly planned with the use of Google Earth, which provides detailed satellite maps of the world, the Daily Telegraph reported, without quoting sources."

"The newspaper revealed in January that Iraqi insurgents were using Google Earth to attack British bases in Basra, prompting the company to replace images of military positions in the southern Iraqi province with others taken before the war."

"... high-resolution images could further compromise the security of some developing countries that were already a target of terrorism."


Solution: Google Earth has struck agreements to show fuzzy, low resolution pictures and distorted building plans' of installations that governments considered sensitive.

This may be a workable plan for now. But are the problems uprooted entirely?

MOVIE TIME!!

Here's a short video I made for my beloved ...



Hope it has been an enjoyable read & watch! :)
Please feel free to comment!
Cheers
Jody

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post:)
    i was looking for a plattform to make some online videos exactly like this 1 and i didnt really found 1 untill checking your blog...

    i guess the best things are just under your nose...

    ReplyDelete